SIM International Academy (SIM IA) offers the Cambridge IGCSE and International A Level, developed and awarded by Cambridge Assessment International Education, United Kingdom, to students aged 12 to 18. SIM IA’s curriculum focuses on applied learning in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) as well as the Social Sciences. Taught by faculty experienced in local and international curricula, students are nurtured to become curious learners, community builders and creative leaders. Beyond academics, students’ learning experience is enriched through co-curricular activities, service-learning and a boarding programme. Upon graduation, students can explore tertiary education pathways at SIM Global Education (SIM GE) or universities worldwide.
The curriculum is designed and taught by faculty who hold postgraduate diplomas in education conferred by the National Institute of Education (Singapore), and have an average of 15 years’ experience in teaching local and international curricula. Their experiences include teaching at Singapore’s schools and overseas international schools, planning curriculum at Singapore’s Ministry of Education, and training other teachers.
Student Life and Development
Student development is approached holistically. Through the focused mentorship of faculty and staff in various programmes, students are given opportunities to grow positively as members of a global community with an Asian perspective. The programmes are:
- Global Citizenship Education – This foundation programme helps students to develop an understanding of contemporary social and cultural issues.
- Enterprise Education – This programme helps students to develop skills such as risk management, negotiation and influencing, and financial literacy.
- Co‐curricular Programmes – These programmes, both student‐led and directed, provide students with avenues to grow skills beyond the classroom.
- Student Leadership – Students are given opportunities to take on leadership roles in the class, cohort and school‐wide levels. Senior students can run for executive positions in the Student Council.
SIM IA works with a boarding school to provide boarding to students. Boarding is an extension of school life with programmes that complement the students’ daytime learning. These include enrichment, language and academic support programmes. Boarding also offers students an experience of interdisciplinary learning through living and studying within a community.
Students who have successfully obtained the IGCSE certificate:
- can proceed to Years 11 and 12, working towards a Cambridge International A Level Certificate at Year 12, or
- apply for SIM’s Management Foundation Studies which leads to SIM Diploma programmes. After that, they are eligible to apply for undergraduate programmes with SIM’s partner universities.
Students who have successfully obtained the International A Level certificate:
- can apply to study with SIM’s partner universities either at their home campus (in the UK, US or Australia) or at the SIM campus. They can also apply to universities worldwide.
Curriculum and Qualifications
SIM IA offers two programmes:
- Four‐year Cambridge International General Certificate of Secondary Education (IGCSE) for students aged 12–16
- Two‐year Cambridge International A Level to students aged 16‐18
Both programmes are developed and awarded by Cambridge Assessment International Education, United Kingdom. The curriculum of both programmes focuses on applied learning, in particular the integration of knowledge and skills from the domains of STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics), languages and the Social Sciences. Students apply their knowledge and skills to reallife scenarios, including proposing solutions to identified problems and engaging in collaborative learning through technology.
Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM)
STEM education is applied as a pedagogical approach across the learning of science and mathematics subjects. Students are taught to work through problems and coming up with solutions using the engineering design process as well as a research‐based and innovation mindset, developing skills such as critical thinking and science literacy in the process.
Language and Literature
This programme aims to develop students to be skilful and confident communicators in English, without losing the culture and identity embedded in their various home languages. Students acquire language skills through debates, speeches, presentations and poetry. Students who wish to keep up with their native language or learn a new language can take up language subjects at either an examinable or non‐examinable level.
Students go through a blend of classroom and experiential learning scenarios. Using an interdisciplinary approach, students get to understand more about the evolution of human societies and cultures.
Cambridge IGCSE (Years 7–10)
Non‐Singapore citizens, whether residing in or out of Singapore, are eligible to apply for Cambridge IGCSE. If residing in Singapore, applicants should possess:
- Permanent Resident,
- Dependant’s Pass holder,
- Long‐Term Visit Pass holder, or
- Student’s Pass holder.
International A Level (Years 11‐12)
Both Singaporean and non‐Singaporean citizens are eligible to apply for the Cambridge International A Level.
We are currently not accepting applications for Years 10 and 12.
Scholarships are provided to applicants who have achieved academic excellence and demonstrated special talents in specific fields of interest. Up to five scholarships are given out each year to cover the recipient’s tuition fee for the upcoming academic year. There is no bond. The scholarship is renewed for the following year if the scholar maintains his/her ranking in the 90th percentile of his/her cohort.
To apply, visit https://simacademy.openapply.com/apply.
SIM International Academy
461 Clementi Road, Singapore (within Singapore Institute of Management campus)
Tel: +65 6248 0408
YouTube: SIM IA