Media Education Scholarship (MES)
Since its inception in 2003, the Media Education Scholarship (MES) has nurtured close to 200 scholars who have established themselves as film and TV directors, music producers, game developers and visual effects artists. The MES was further enhanced in January 2012 to include industry collaboration through direct job-matching of scholars to companies, better alignment of scholarship to industry demands and requirements, and a clearer career path for professionals set by companies. MES now comes with a full scholarship.
Aspiring film-maker can opt for the MES (Film) where they will have their tuition fees and other compulsory university fees sponsored by MDA. There is no bond as there will be no co-sponsoring companies to offer an annual living allowance.
Singapore citizen or Permanent Resident with the aspiration to transform the media industry can apply for MES and MES (Film).
While applicants are not required to have secured a placement at the point of application, they must have applied to an institution for admission to a full-time media-related undergraduate or postgraduate programme.
Applicants who have already started their undergraduate or postgraduate programme can also apply for a mid-term scholarship.
Male applicants must have completed or be exempted from National Service at the time of their study.
Application Criteria & Procedures
Applicants will be assessed based on:
- Academic results
- Creativity: assessed through portfolio submitted and/or track record, if any;
- Leadership potential: assessed through their CCA record, community involvement, and/or contribution to the media industry (if applicable);
- Other requirements specified by MDA, and the co-sponsoring companies.
Only shortlisted applicants will be notified for an interview. MDA and the co-sponsoring companies reserve the right of non-disclosure for information pertaining to the outcome of applications. All terms and conditions are subject to change and are accurate as at date of update.
MDA’s decision on scholarship grants is final and conclusive, and will not be subjected to any form of appeal or review.
Applicants are requested to submit 3 sets of your portfolio in DVDs and email the following documents to MES@mda.gov.sg:
- Scanned copy of completed application form
- Scanned copy of Resume
- Photocopy of NRIC (front and back view on the same page)
- Copy of all educational certificates and transcripts from GCE ‘O’ level or equivalent, to tertiary education
- Scanned copy of essay (approximately 1,000-word) on how you would contribute to the media industry. Essay must be typed in font Arial (size 12), single-spaced, and printed on plain A4-size paper.
- Letters of recommendations from two referees and their contact details (referees must not be immediate relatives of the applicant)
- Proof of application or admission into course of study
- Proposed course of study, including the estimated cost of tuition fees and other compulsory fees in SGD
- Soft copy of applicant’s portfolio and/or samples of up to five best works (e.g. sketches, write-ups, and/or audio-video recordings) submitted in DVD format (acceptable file formats: .doc, .ppt, .mp4, .wmv, .jpg, .xls and .pdf). Three (3) DVD copies of the same samples are to be submitted to MDA. All DVDs should be clearly labelled with the applicant’s name, NRIC number, contact details and accompanied by a brief write-up of the work (e.g. applicant’s role in the work, title of work, date the work was produced etc).
- Any other relevant supporting documents
All supporting documents (except for sample of works or portfolio) are to be submitted on plain A4-sized paper, scanned and emailed.