JCU Singapore (registered as James Cook Australia Institute of Higher Learning in Singapore) is fully owned by James Cook University Australia, the leading tropical research university in Australia.
The university established JCU Singapore in 2003 as part of its expressed intent of “Creating a brighter future for life in the tropics world-wide through graduates and discoveries that make a difference”. It offers a suite of university level programmes at the JCU Singapore campus, specifically:
- Undergraduate programmes in psychology, business, accounting, marketing, tourism, information technology, education, and environmental science
- Post graduate programmes in psychology, education, guidance and counselling, business, accounting, and information technology
- Doctorate programmes in psychology
Importantly, all programmes offered follow the same curriculum as the Australian versions but are contextualised to the Asian environment. This ensures high quality, while at the same time maintaining a local relevance.
Additionally, JCU Singapore offers courses at the pre-university level, specifically designed to provide pathways for students who are unable to immediately attain university entrance standards. The pre-university programs are:
- English language preparatory programme (designed to improve students’ English to the level required for University undergraduate or post graduate degrees)
- Foundation programme (an eight-month university preparation programme for students who are unable to meet our normal entrance requirements)
- Diploma programmes (in IT and Business)
JCU Singapore is a full campus of the University and is not a delivery partnership with a local Private Education Organisation. JCU Singapore campuses are located at Sims Drive and Ang Mo Kio. Both provide students with access to a full range of facilities and services to support their learning. These include lecture and seminar rooms, library and associated study facilities, computer laboratories, and access to a variety of sporting facilities.
JCU Singapore has a fast-track programme enabling students to complete a Bachelor degree in just two years and a Masters programme in one year. This enables you to complete your studies in the shortest time possible to minimise your costs, at the same time benefitting from our quality education programmes and enter the workforce with your skills sooner.
JCU Inter-campus Mobility Programme
JCU Singapore provides the opportunity for students to study in Singapore and in Australia and yet still remain as Singapore based students paying their fees in Singapore currency. This is a unique programme in Asia and is only able to operate because the university operates across both countries. The programme is designed to ensure the studentst get the best possible outcomes from their years of study with the university.
Entrance requirements for JCU Singapore differs according to the applicant desired course of study but in general applicants must have satisfactorily completed 12 years of schooling and an English level equating with a minimum IELTS of 6.0.
Admission Procedure for Singaporean Students
Step 1: Complete the JCU Singapore Application Form.
Step 2: Submit your Application Form to our Admissions Office together with the following items:
- Application fee of S$200.00
- Certified true copies of academic transcripts (GCE ‘O’ level + GCE ‘A’ Level* or Diploma or Degree)
- Copy of passport or Singapore identity card
- 2 recent passport-sized photographs
Step 3: We will assess your application based upon the academic and English language entry requirements for your preferred degree. If your application is successful, you will receive a Standard Student Contract, Advisory Note and Letter of Offer for consideration. Please read the contents of these documents carefully, particularly the Terms and Conditions of the offer.
Step 4: To accept the offer, sign and return the Standard Student Contract and Letter of Offer together with all the relevant paperwork and payment as stipulated in the documents.
Step 5: Upon receipt of the Acceptance Letter and initial payment, JCU Singapore will invite you to attend the orientation/briefing session where you may pick up your timetable and subject outlines.
Admission Procedure for International Students
Step 1: Complete the JCU Singapore Application Form; for Study Abroad Programme, complete the Study Abroad Application Form
Step 2: Send your Application Form to our Admissions Office together with the following items:
- Application fee of SGD$250 (Non-refundable and non-transferable)
- Copies of your highest and second highest academic certificate and transcripts
- Proof of your English language proficiency – either certified true copies of IELTS/TOEFL, proof of English medium education or completion of our English Placement Test
- Copy of your passport
- 2 recent passport-sized photographs
Step 3: JCU Singapore will assess your application based upon the academic and English language entry requirements for your preferred degree. If your application is successful, you will receive a Standard Student Contract, Advisory Note and Letter of Offer, together with the instructions for applying for a Student Pass and general information relating to arrivals, pickup services and accommodation options. Please read the contents of the contract and Terms of Conditions thoroughly and contact your local representative or the JCU Singapore if there are any questions.
Step 4: To accept the offer, sign and return the Standard Student Contract and Letter of Offer together with all the relevant paperwork and payment as stipulated in the documents. Please provide the following for the Student Pass application with your signed Contract:
- Certified copy of your Birth Certificate
- Proof of financial ability, if you are from a visa required country
- Supporting document such as pay slips indicating parent or applicant’s monthly income
- 1 set of completed ICA Form V36 & eForm 16
- Other documents if advised by JCU Singapore
- If documentation is not in English, a certified translation must accompany the paperwork
Step 5: Upon receipt of your signed Standard Student Contract, Letter of Offer and completed student pass documents, JCU Singapore will apply for your Student Pass with Singapore Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA).
Step 6: The average turnaround time for Student Pass approval is 2-4 weeks. We will confirm approval of your Student Pass application, either by email or through your local representative and send you a scanned copy of the In-Principle Approval letter. You will then need to pay the tuition fee (first instalment), FPS Insurance Fee and Health Insurance Fee as indicated in the Standard Student Contract. All international students registering with and receiving an offer from JCU Singapore are required to pay International Student Registration Fees of S$500 (incl. of GST) .The fees cover a range of services proivided to international students by JCU Singapore. The Approval Letter acts as an entry visa to Singapore as well as an evidence of your granted student visa.
Step 7: Once you have the In-Principle Approval Letter, you may make arrangements to travel to Singapore. Note that the Approval letter is valid for 2 months from the date of issue. Orientation programs are normally organised one week before the course commences. Some students may be slightly late due to difficulties in making travel arrangement. However, to be eligible to attempt examinations later, all students must enrol in their respective courses and sit in class no later than 1 week after commencement. Before commencing at JCU Singapore you will also need to complete a standard medical check-up and complete immigration formalities.
Step 8: Attend orientation and briefing session and confirm your enrolment.